Read through the paper. Circle your answers and respond when necessary.
- Does the paper have an effective attention getter? YES/NO
- Is enough background information provided so that you would understand the topic without much prior knowledge? YES/ NO
- CIRCLE the paper’s thesis. Does it state the author’s topic and how this topic has/had an effect on something bigger? YES/NO
- What could be added or taken out of the introduction to make the paper stronger? ____________________________________________________________________________
- How many body paragraphs does the paper have? _____
- Should there be more? If so, what sub-topics might strengthen their argument? ____________________________________________________________________________
- Are there parenthetical (in text) citations? YES / NO
- Do the citations appear correct? (Do they match the first word/words of the full citation on the works cited page?) YES / NO
- Circle/comment on ANY CITATIONS THAT NEED TO BE EDITED
- Is EVERYTHING cited that is not purely the author’s idea? YES/ NO
- Do they analyze their quotations and paraphrases in order to prove their thesis? YES / NO
- Tips for strengthening body paragraphs and analysis of topic? ____________________________________________________________________________
- Does the conclusion wrap up the main points of the paper? YES / NO
- Does the end of the conclusion leave the reader with a final “push” – why this subject is so important for people to know about, what we can take from it, etc.? YES / NO
- Suggestions for improving the conclusion: ____________________________________________________________________________
CHECKLIST FOR OTHER THINGS:
- Does the paper use I, WE, YOU, US, (1st person words)? YES / NO
- (If so, cross these out and make a note of it! Paper should be in 3rd person)
- Are the sources from credible authors/websites? YES / NO
- Do they have 5 Sources? YES / NO
- Do the sources appear to be cited correctly? (No URLs, correct use of quotation marks and italics, etc.) YES / NO
- Is the MLA heading correct? (1 inch margins, last name and page number in top right corner, name, my name, class, and date in upper left hand corner) YES / NO
- Is the title of the paper interesting? YES/ NO
- (TITLE IS NOT BOLDED OR UNDERLINED IN MLA FORMAT)
- – is this correct? YES/ NO
- Is the author’s vocabulary sophisticated/advanced? Go through and circle words that you think could be improved. If you can help, think of some suggestions for stronger words and write them next to their words.
- Are there grammatical errors in the paper? YES / NO (most people will have a few at least).
- Go through the paper and skim for errors and awkward sentences (a very common error)
- Help your partner by pointing these out or editing them for corrections if you can.
List a positive thing about this paper.